Friday, July 25, 2014

Some of My Favourite "Weird Al" Yankovic Songs

In honour of "Weird Al" Yankovic's (possibly) last album, here are some of my favourite songs of his from the rest of his catalogue.


"One More Minute" from Dare to Be Stupid (1985)

Yankovic's juxtaposition of smooth 50s balladry with the persona of a psychotic spurned lover produced his first really great song. He made good use of the same kind of lyrical dissonance throughout his career - see ahead.



"Dog Eat Dog" from Polka Party (1986)

I can't honestly say this is actually one of my favourites, but I put it here because a) it's a style parody of Talking Heads that's better than most of what the band itself was putting out at the time and b) the absolutely hilarious bridge that brilliantly twists "Once in a Lifetime" to Yankovic's purpose.



"You Make Me" from Even Worse (1988)

There's no official video for this one, but the surreal visuals are best left to the imagination. "When I'm with you I don't know whether I should study neurosurgery or go and see the Care Bears movie". Enough said.



"Good Old Days" from Even Worse (1988)

Another one from the "violence is funny" pile.



"When I Was Your Age" from Off the Deep End (1992)

More horrific nostalgia, but this time from a victim's point of view.



"You Don't Love Me Anymore" from Off the Deep End (1992)

A better violent breakup song than "One More Minute".



"Harvey the Wonder Hamster" from Alapalooza (1993)

When I looked for a video, I was disappointed to find out that Harvey was real and the song dated back to Al TV in the 80s. I wanted Yankovic to have written a 24 second song about a hamster just because. But it's still a 24 second song about a hamster.



"Amish Paradise" from Bad Hair Day (1996)

Leave it to Weird Al to go to the trouble of writing a song that ridicules a culture that will never hear it.


"The Night Santa Went Crazy" from Bad Hair Day (1996)

Violence!



"Albuquerque" from Running with Scissors (1999)

If you have to ask...

No comments:

Top 50 Albums of 2020

 50. Sarah Jarosz - World on the Ground 49. Glenn Richards - FIBATTY! 48. Soccer Mommy - Color Theory 47. Porridge Radio - Every Bad 46. Mat...